Monday, December 1, 2008

THE DOUBLE CLICK BUCK

It was opening day of the 08 Firearm season and the deer were on the move during the morning hours. After spending 3 hours in my tree stand and watching a total of 16 doe and young bucks pass within in view it was time to head back to the cabin and prepare the morning grub for the WBS brothers.
Around 12:45 I told my son Grant I thought I would take a drive around the road and see if I could spot a buck on the move so I could plan my evening hunt. 10 minutes later we were sitting near the diesel barrel at the farm glassing a couple of nice deer up the draw next to the 90. One was a young buck and the other was a mature 8 point, making his stand against the younger buck. Me being the wheel man decided to drive up into the field in the Jeep Wrangler X and have Grant step out and put the Simmons scope on the bigger buck and give me a reading on whether he was a shootable buck. It was clear from Grant's description this was a good one. A doe stepped out of the 90 and began a slow jog south along the fence line we were near. I could not believe my eyes when the big 8 began to follow with the younger buck on his heels. In a matter of 2 minutes the big 8 had gone from 600 yards away to 250 yard. Grant, taking a legal stance on the ground and me glassing the buck, began the final calculations for harvest of this fine animal. The doe led the buck within about 150 yards when Grant said I'm going to take him. The next think I heard was "CLICK" followed by the racking of the rifle bolt. I assurred Grant the buck was calm and he still had the shot. "CLICK" was heard again followed by another rifle bolt open and close. "No problem" I said, he is still standing still. The third pull of the trigger sent the 270 round downrange knocking the buck off his feet where he stood. Nice shot! No trailing this big boy!!
We drove up to the deer to find a beautiful typical 8 pt buck. It had long tines with very symetrical antlers. The inside spread was just over 18 inches.
What a fun hunt and rush for opening day. Grant tagged the deer, waved to the WBS recon plane, and headed to the cabin to show off the harvest.
November 15, 2008 was the day the Double Click Buck went down.

No comments:

Post a Comment